Futurama Parodies "Ewaste" Recycling Exports

I really like Futurama, and this e-waste export segment is pretty funny.   It would be funnier if there was something positive said about the importer, and I can see how many of our refurbishing partners could be offended by it.  Maybe there's something redeeming, I haven't seen the whole episode.

In my previous posts, I recently objected to the "cartoon" stereotypes of electronics recyclers overseas.  This does kind of make that point.  The scale of the "informal sector" has been grossly exaggerated, and the scale of well-lit, sophisticated white box remanufacturing has been dramatically underplayed.  So... yeah I still love the cartoon, but it's kind of a watermelon and fried chicken joke, even if the importers are blue.

FuturamaThursdays 10pm / 9c
e-Waste Delivery
www.comedycentral.com
Futurama New EpisodesFuturama New EpisodesIt's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

No comments: